The glory of Hisar comes from antiquity and it is believed that it was in this town that the beginning of the organized balneotherapy in Bulgaria was set. After the Liberation, with its first budget, the Regional Assembly of Eastern Rumelia granted a loan of 1,200 liras for the repair and construction of some baths in the resort.
At that time, two new wings were built to the Kupchez bath (today's Rusalka), which along with the new large pool had 4 small rooms with one tub (bath) for self-bathing, something unknown until then. It is also one of the oldest baths in the town of Hisar. It was built on a mineral spring and the remains of an old Roman bath. The water of the mineral spring has a temperature of 37 degrees and helps with arthrosis, which should not be treated with too hot water.
Another popular bath among the people of Plovdiv in the city of mineral springs was Indzheza, whose water was also recommended for drinking. It was part of the Bansko complex, which also included the springs Havuza and Momina Banya. The complex has an area of 2000 square meters. Various healing procedures with mineral water were performed there. The rooms inside were covered with white marble and were quite impressive.
Narechenski Bani is the other resort from which relatives in Plovdiv often received cards from vacationers. The resort has existed since July 1, 1891, when the first bath was opened. Initially, it was part of the village of Kosovo, where most of its population is from. Subsequently, it grew and developed as a separate village. Since 1910, the first bath for public balneotherapy has been operating. The first spa sanatorium was opened in 1927. In 1935 a military sanatorium was put into operation. The biggest development of the resort was in the 80s and 90s of the XX century. In Narechenski Bani, a number of diseases are treated: of the nervous system, cardiovascular, of the musculoskeletal system, endocrine-metabolic and others. The mineral water there is the only one in Bulgaria, which is used to treat neuroses, depression, stress-related illnesses.
The village of Banya, Karlovo region is better known as the Karlovo mineral baths. Life around the hot mineral springs in these lands originated in the Neolithic Age and lasted until the early Stone Age. During the partial archeological excavations, dwellings, hearths, vessels, ceramic fragments painted with white paste, fragments of cult tables and tools for production were found.
Karlovo Baths was declared a resort in 1921 by the then Ministry of Interior. The mineral bath, opened in 1936, is known today as the "central bath". In 1958 the Banche bath was built, and in 1963 the village of Banya - Karlovo region was declared a health resort of national importance. Even Tsar Boris III himself visited it in 1925 and stayed in the villa of a friend after an unsuccessful treatment of his rheumatism in Hisar. A little later, in 1929, the royal villa was built at the northern end of the village according to a project of the famous Bulgarian architect Ivan Vasilyov. It was called Palace by the locals. As a lover of botany, Tsar Boris III created a magnificent park in the royal house. A small river passed through the park, which watered the beautiful plants, which today are represented by marsh redwood, wild chestnut, magnolia and many others. The park lies on rich springs of hot mineral waters, and on its territory, there is such a healing mineral spring. Today the building preserves authentic oriental furniture, paintings by the most prominent Bulgarian artists and others. The complex is protected by the state status of a cultural monument, it is taken care of by the Rose Valley Winery and is open for visits on special occasions and events.
Today, all three resorts still function as places where you can enjoy the restoring power of the mineral springs, but the most developed spa tourism is undoubtedly in the town of Hisar. There are available not only sanatoriums, but also a number of hotels with different categorization and guest houses, and we have already walked you in the city and its surroundings.