The oldest photographs show DzhambazTepe with the bell tower of St. PetkaStara Temple, the former Greek school and the three-storey wooden bell tower of St. Mary's Metropolitan Church at the eastern foot of the hill as symbols of Plovdiv. At that time, no one knew that the remains of the Ancient Theater of Philippopolis were hidden between them, deep in the earth.
It was not until 1925 that the construction of one of the newer symbols of the City under the hills began, precisely, the building called the House with the Tower. It rises on the rocks, much like a castle, and over the years has been the set and decor for several Bulgarian productions.
It was owned by the architect Stefan Dzakov and was executed in a secession style. At the top was a tower, from which all of Plovdiv could be seen as on a palm. A spiral staircase of wood led through the house leading to the attic. The furnishings and interiors were exquisite and stylish - dressing rooms, chairs and tables with bronze trim and carved figures, crystal made in Vienna.
The building was of great interest to the people of Plovdiv in the past. Old legends even say that in the great earthquake of 1928, when the earth shook, a number of city dwellers rushed to see if the house had collapsed.
During the Todor Zhivkov administration, the house was much liked by his daughter Lyudmila. There was also a proposal to have it taken away from the owners and turned into a cultural monument. However, this hasn’t happened to this day and it is still perceived as a true architectural jewel, but it is not protected by law.
In 1957, two Bulgarian films by director Václav Krškawere shot there - Legend of Love and Labakan. Two years later, the unique building also went into the TV drama The Little Girl by director Nikolay Korabov. In 1999, Stefan Dzhakov's former home became known throughout Bulgaria as a frame in the episodes of the sitcom Clinic on the Third Floor.