After our photo walk of one of the oldest living buildings in Plovdiv - the Dzhumaya Mosque, which aroused considerable interest among readers, the team of Lost in Plovdiv collected several other preserved Ottoman monuments. The route today takes us back centuries and reveals some of the Muslim heritage left in our lands. For some buildings, we certainly know a lot, but for others, we may not even suspect that they are part of Eastern culture and architecture.
Hudavendigar (Dzhumaya) Mosque
Muradiye (Dzhumaya) mosque is located in the center of Plovdiv and according to historians, it was built between 1433 and 1436. The Muslim temple has a size of 40 to 30 meters. It was part of the Sultan Murad Hudavendigar complex of buildings. The complex included Kursunlu Khan, The Great Bedesten (Bazaar) and the Mosque. Today only the mosque has remained.
Mehmet Hakki Pasa Mansion (Lamartine House)
It was built by the Rumelian Governor Hakki Pasa. It is a typical example of the Turkish house architecture and is one of the biggest and most beautiful symmetrical houses in the Old Plovdiv Town. The French historian and writer Lamartine stayed in the mansion for a couple of nights during his journey to Istanbul. He was charmed by its hospitable hosts and attested this with his writing. That is the reason Bulgarian researchers call it “Lamartine’s House”.
The clock tower
The first clock tower was built in the late 16th century in the European model. There is no dial, but the clock’s copper ring measures the time every hour. Currently, there’s a small park around that is a favorite among young people for night summer dates, and it continues to function as a clock tower.
Mevlevihane (The Dervish Monastery)
Mevlevi (Mavlevi) Hane is located in the Old Town and is defined as the only dervish monastery of this kind, which is actually Muslim. It is situated in the inner stronghold part in a place that was known as Saruhanli Quarter of Plovdiv. It was built by Arif Dede in the 16th century after Hungary gained its independence from the Ottoman Empire and the Budapest dervishes moved to Plovdiv. Today the building functions as a restaurant named Paldin. It was renovated about 37 years ago to change its purpose, followed by several more repairs.
Sultan Abdul Aziz School (The Yellow School)
The Yellow School is the oldest building in Plovdiv used for its intended purpose. It’s called this way because of the unchanged color of its facade. It was built in 1868 with the courtesy of Sultan Abdul Azis Khan. Ivan Vazov, Todor Kableshkov, Dimcho Debelyanov studied at the Yellow School. After the Liberation, P. R. Slaveikov, Petko Karavelov taught here. Since 1964 the building has been used by the Academy of Music, Dance, and Fine Arts. Today it houses the Academy's folklore faculty.
Tas Kopru Mosque
The Tas Kopru (Stone Bridge) mosque was built in 1860 by Aslihan Bey as a prayer house for Muslims in the Marasha district and originally had a minaret.
Old Turkish cemetery
The cemetery that has remained since Ottoman times is situated in the center of Plovdiv. Today it doesn’t function and no burials are done there but is still maintained.
Sehabuddin Pasa (Imaret) mosque
Imaret Mosque is located in the central part of the city, very close to the pedestrian bridge over the Maritsa River. It was built in 1444 by Sehabuddin Pasa who served as a beylerbeyi (governor-general) and vizier in the Ottoman Empire in the 15th century. From the complex of buildings, only the mosque and the tomb of Sehabuddin Pasa have remained. As of 1992, it is again an operating house of prayers.
The Turkish bath was built in 1555 by Kadiasker Haci Hasandze Mustafa Efendi. In May 1995, the Modern Art Week was held for the first time in the building. Thus, the idea was born to turn the building into a Center for Contemporary Art, called the Ancient Bath.