Over the years, urban planning has left strange imprints in Plovdiv in many places. After the modernization plan from the end of the 19th century during the time of Josef Schnitter, the crooked streets in the Old Town were straightened, some Revival houses were demolished, and some streets took on even more strange and illogical forms than before. Subsequent periods also added surprises - some due to the large scale in which the state operated during the socialist period, while others - due to more ordinary and modest shifts in the urban architectural environment.
Such a reconstruction leads to the current state of one of the strangest streets - Vasil Petleshkov in Kuchuk Paris. We will unsuccessfully search the street by maps, Google or similar places for navigation. It is located – in addition to the old maps - only in the cadastre. The urban history of Plovdiv has bequeathed us only a few properties - from number 16 to number 18.
In fact, apart from the strange destruction of the other numbers, it makes an impression that they are on the same side of the street. Why is this weird? Street numbers usually go like this - even on one side, odd on the other. How come Vasil Petleshkov Street today has numbers 16, 17 and 18 next to each other, on one side?
We go back a hundred years to the time when the so-called Uhoto district still existed. Apart from some Kuchuk Parisians, it is also known to football fans and in particular to fans of Botev Plovdiv. The neighborhood appeared in the history of the club in the 1920s, when the club received a plot of land there to build a stadium. There is also the first monument to Hristo Botev in Plovdiv - the same one that was until recently on Iztochen Blvd., and is now in Komatevo, awaiting return. Today in the Uhoto district the Todor Diev stadium of Spartak Plovdiv is in the same place.
Jansen Hermann (1869-1945), Planung für Plowdiw: Karte Plowdiw und Umgebung, Lageplan Bauzonen 1:10000. Buntstift und Schreibmaschine über Druck auf Papier, 70,00 x 73,00 cm (inkl. Scanrand). Architekturmuseum der Technischen Universität Berlin Inv. Nr. 22449.
The name of this neighborhood comes from the railway line - Uho, which was used to allow trains to reverse their movement. And directly connected to this railway line is Vasil Petleshkov Street. It runs along Uhoto. Thus, the result is the numbering to be only on one side - on the other side of the street is the railway line.
The street itself gradually disappeared with Uhoto itself. Around the 1960s, it was removed during the modernization of the station and the area around it. Gradually, the street was built up with apartment blocks without having I mind the street itself. Thus, it almost completely disappeared from the city landscape. Almost - because the three numbers in question remain, and miraculously survive to this day.
They are located near the St. Trinity church and near the Saturday market. In fact, "street" is not exactly the right term - the reserved area is a dusty or muddy piece on which the locals park their cars, many of them, probably without even knowing that this is a street.
And, perhaps most surprising is the preserved sign of one of these houses. Despite the fact that the street is almost completely obliterated - one of the signs from the years before September 9 with the inscription "Vasil Petleshkov" still stands on the facade of one of these old houses.