The area in front of the Military Club and around the Central Post Office building is the main square of the city of Plovdiv. Before September 9, 1944, it was named Tsar Simeon, and then - Red Square. Its actual formation began in 1963, and several years later it was completely reconstructed and separated as a square.
During the work at a depth of 3.5-4.5 m in total over an area of 1000 square meters, various archeological finds appeared - multi-colored floor mosaics with images of birds, vegetation, geometric figures, ancient streets, parts of aqueducts, of residential buildings, sometimes on two and even on three levels. The most important discoveries are around the underpasses - Trimontium and Archaeological. During the reconstruction, archaeologists were able to clarify the overall urban scheme of the ancient city from the Roman period of I-III century. After the Liberation, an old Turkish cemetery was located in its place, and it was a large level field.
People directed their focus at it in 1891, at the time of the First Bulgarian Exposition. At that time, a park was built on the territory of the cemetery, and the main entrance was located exactly on the place of Central Square. After the end of the event, the garden was named Tsar-Simeon's Garden, and thus was also named the square, which still looks more like a field. Over the years, the area has become a central venue for parades and celebrations. All the great guests went through it. A more extensive renovation of the space was made in the period 1963-1970.
Today the square is officially opened after its last reconstruction and reveals to us impressive architecture on two levels. There are two fountains and a passive water attraction that allow you to "walk on water" near the monument of GyuroMihailov. People can model the fountains themselves by creating an individual program for water and light effects through a dedicated touch screen device. The water attractions themselves are accessible for entry. The same applies to the so-called "flowing water" - the water effect, which is located beside the two fountains. Visitors can come down and take a closer look at the excavations at one end, and the approaches to the Odeon and the Forum are yet to be shaped and a walking route to the Episcopal Basilica is to be built.