We don’t claim to be comprehensive in our ranking, and we know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but we have 5 favorite buildings that we always marvel at and proudly show to tourists in our city.
Bulgarian National Bank
It was completed at the end of the 19th century, and its architect was Jacob Heinrich Meyer. Earlier, the Swiss was the chief architect of the Exhibition in Plovdiv. It was opened in 1899, and in 1929 the operating room of the financial institution was added. Architect Kamen Petkov skillfully handled the work - although it doesn’t repeat Meyer's forms, the extension fits perfectly into the older building, and the beautiful facade to the main building is completely preserved. Later - in 1974, two additional floors and another wing were built, which is reflected only in the interior.
The building is listed as a cultural monument, but unfortunately it has lost some of its luster in recent years, but it’s still one of the most attractive photo spots on Main Street and impresses with its look.
In 1925, construction began on one of the more recent symbols of the city under the hills - the building now called the House with the tower. It rises on the rocks, like a castle, and over the years has been a filming location and set for several Bulgarian productions.
It is owned by the architect Stefan Dzhakov and is executed in the secession style. A tower rises in the upper part, from which you can see the whole of Plovdiv as if in the palm of your hand. A wooden staircase runs through the house and leads to the attic. The furniture and interior at the time of construction were exquisite and stylish – dressing tables, chairs and tables with bronze fittings and carved figures, crystal made in Vienna.
The house with the nymphs
It is known that it was Emilia Sabeva’s project. She was mother of the great opera singer who graduated from the Roman Santa Cecilia Academy - the baritone Sabcho Sabev (1899-1948). She herself was a distant descendant of the famous Venetian painter Giacomo Favretto (1849-1887).
The overall facade composition of the house from the street is truly unique - there is no other similar in Plovdiv. The first floor is divided by pilasters, on which there is a bas-relief of a female figure holding flowers, which is why it is called "The House with the Nymphs". The windows and balconies are also interesting, because they don’t follow a regular geometry, but make interesting arcs.
It housed the first private commercial school of Atanas Sabev.
The building of the Municipality of Plovdiv
It was built in the period 1912-1914 for the needs of the then District Standing Committee, which predetermines its original name - District Palace. Its architect is the famous Sofia architect Nikola Neshov.
From the end of the 1920s to the 1950s, it was used as the District (Police) Directorate, and at the beginning of the 1960s it became the seat of the mayor.
It has been preserved in its original form with a monumental silhouette and forms of the front facade, decorated with ornaments and with a beautiful tower on the roof. A central place is given to the meeting room on the second floor, presented from the outside with tall oval windows and a neat balcony. The building has been declared a cultural monument.
The House with the Medallion
The House with the Medallion was built in 1908 by the famous architect Pencho Koychev, author of the project of the Courthouse in Sofia. The building was owned by the pharmacist Hariton Kuev, who was briefly the mayor of Plovdiv in 1919. In the 1930s, it was bought by the rich merchant Aris Gurbetyan, but after 1944, the family gradually lost ownership of it. After 1989, the building was restored. Today, it is considered the most beautiful example of Secession in Plovdiv.